Sunday, April 03, 2005

Spring in Texas

Spring in Texas...there's nothing better! Perfect weather (75 degrees and sunny) and beautiful wildflowers (thank you Lady Bird). We made a trip to Round Top (about 1 hour east of Austin) on Saturday for Antique Weekend. My parents joined us, and we had lots of fun. Although I am pretty much useless when it comes to walking for long distances (and by long distances, I mean more than 2 blocks), I held my own and kept the complaining to a minimum (despite the sausage-looking appendages I used to call feet).

We went looking for a door to put between the family room and the living room (figuring we will need a way to separate the four-legged children from the two-legged child). The original homeowners added on the family room after the house was built, and I guess they didn’t think it mattered what size they made the opening because it is 40 inches wide. A standard door is 32 inches wide so just going to Home Depot and buying a door was not an option. Plus, we wanted an antique door with stained glass, but again size seemed to be a problem. Therefore, our solution was to buy a stained glass window and get my dad to build it into a door. I am very excited about this prospect and have already starting planning the replacement of all the doors in our house with custom-made doors with antique stained glass. (I guess we’d better see how this one turns out first.)

So anyway, it was another wonderful weekend here in Austin. Posted below are photos of some of the wildflowers we enjoyed on the drive and a “before” photo of the window we bought. I will be sure to post an “after” photo once my dad has completed his masterpiece.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work »