Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Happy New Year

"Yesterday, everybody smoked his last cigar, took his last drink and swore his last oath. Today, we are a pious and exemplary community. Thirty days from now, we shall have cast our reformation to the winds and gone to cutting our ancient shortcomings considerably shorter than ever." ~Mark Twain

I hope everyone saw the new year in safely and joyously. I was actually asleep by 9:30 Saturday night, but that's just the kind of party animal I am. I can't believe how quickly 2005 passed by. All in all, it was a great year. The birth of Olivia in May was definitely the highlight, and every day since then has brought us something new and exciting as we watch her grow and learn.

I have made several New Year's resolutions:
1. Lose weight. I would like to lose 15 pounds by summer and 20 pounds by year end.
2. Exercise. I don't exercise AT ALL. I am determined to get off my fat butt and do some sort of physical activity at least twice a week.
3. Sleep in the bed with my husband ALONE (i.e. without
this). Liv has been sleeping with us for more than a month now. While we find it comforting in a way, it is time for her to go. So last night was the night. Time for bed--in her crib.

After one hour and 10 minutes of this:


And four of these for mommy:

She fell asleep. She slept for just over an hour and then screamed for 30 minutes. Since it was after midnight, we let her back in the bed with us, where she slept peacefully until 8:00 a.m. Yes, I know this is not how Dr. Ferber says to do it, but we have to do what works for us. I think we will have to work up to a full night. Oh, Liv picked last night (while screaming and crying in her bed) to learn to say "Mama." That's right, she really knows how to tear at my heartstrings. You can bet if she had said "Dada," she would have been picked up by you-know-who right away.

Happy 2006!

No comments: