Monday, August 01, 2005

I survived, but just barely


Well, I officially survived my first (part-time) day back at work. It was not pleasant, but I survived nonetheless. Getting dressed this morning was painful. Liv slept away, oblivious to the distress I was feeling. Luckily, she awoke just before I left so that I could shower her with hugs and kisses. I needed a full 5 hours worth just to get me through the morning. I honestly think if she had not awakened on her own, I would have had to wake her.

I cried all the way to work and for a good part of the morning. I only called to check on her three times (really 5, but Sean didn't answer the phone twice). My co-workers started avoiding me when they realized that if they stopped by my office, they would be subjected to hearing about how much I miss my baby and how wonderful she is.

Pumping milk at work is more of a challenge than I expected. There is just something inherently wrong with baring your breast in the work place (unless that is your job, of course), even if your door is closed. Unfortunately, our office doors only lock from the outside (what does that say about lawyers--they can lock us in, but we can't keep them out). I had to come up with a creative sign to put on my door that would be sure to keep everyone out while dinner was being made. I didn't want to offend anyone, so I tried to keep it subtle. What do you think?

Sean and Liv survived the morning as well. In fact, Sean claims that she didn't cry once. Liv really loves her daddy, as you can see from this photo. I am so glad that he is able to stay home with her. As hard as this day was, knowing she was with her daddy who loves her as much as I do, made it a little better.

No comments: