Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Bad News

We took Liv for the imaging tests of her kidney/bladder/urinary tract yesterday. It was a horrible experience. She didn't mind the ultrasound at all and even tried to watch the monitor to see what her insides look like. The voiding cystourethrogram (VCUG), on the other hand, was disturbing to her, me, and her papa. During the test a small tube is put into the urethra and a fluid (contrast media) flows into the bladder. X-ray pictures that are then taken to check for reflux. I think the worst part was the fact that she had to be strapped down to a narrow table. She cried and screamed "Mama" the whole time.

When her doctor called at 8:30 this morning, I suspected it was not with good news. Turns out she has grade 3 Vesicouretral Reflux. It is a condition she was born with and will likely outgrow in a few years. The treatment is a low-dose antibiotic at night time until the condition corrects itself. In the worst cases, surgery is required. We have to take her to a urologist next week, but we are pretty sure surgery will not be necessary.

I will keep you posted.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yucky. I'm so sorry.

The Princess had her sonogram yesterday. I have not gotten her results back.

Now, I'm worried.

Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Oh wow I am so sorry...poor baby and poor mama having to hear her cry her name!

Kat said...

So sorry to hear that! Poor thing!

Melanie said...

I can't imagine how hard it was to sit and listen to her cry. Sorry for the news :(

Odd Mix said...

I'm sorry it was/is such a tough time.

All four of my kids had GERD and we went through similar types of testing. Not easy to do! Our youngest decided at age 1 month that since eating hurt, she would not eat - at all! We had to feed her by NG tube for almost a year before she started eating enough on her own. The hardest part was learning to change the NG tube at home on our own. She is three now and perfectly healthy (except for the river of snot currently issuing forth from her face).

Keep your spirits up. This will pass and all will be well... until the next thing. Parenting is fun, but nobody said it was easy.

Lucky Lum said...

At least maybe you've found the cause for all her night awakenings?
Poor Liv.